Saturday, January 21, 2012

Thought for the Week: Facing Your Fears

"Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is a classic quote and one you could take a number of directions. As this is a writing blog, let's focus on facing fear in that arena. I've been writing since third grade but it took me many, many years to reach the point where I felt confident enough to actually write something I wanted other people to read. I'd boxed up most of my writing aspirations (my dreams!) and left that life behind me. At 40, I unboxed story ideas and worked on finishing a novel. As with anything in life, to overcome a fear, you must face it. My fear was that I wasn't good enough and that no one would ever want to read what I wrote. I won't lie and say I've completely eliminated that monster, but I have come to realize my writing is a gift. To not write is to neglect a precious blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment