Monday, February 14, 2011

Showing Some Book Love

I had every intention to post a blog entry last Friday but I was tending to a sick child while my wife and youngest were at Children’s Hospital awaiting liver biopsy results. Everything is fine. Sarah, our 2-year-old, had a liver transplant at 7 months old. We’re at the mercy of lab results more than we would like. When they take a turn up, a liver biopsy is likely.

So here we are at Valentine’s Day 2011. I’ll be spending some quality time with my wife today. I hope those of you with a significant other were able to get out this weekend.

In the meantime and in the spirit of love, I would like to discuss those books or authors you can’t get enough of. It could be a timeless classic, a new series, or one of the great writers of our time. You can take it anyway you would like. It would be great to hear everyone’s favorites. Oh, and by all means, you don’t have to limit this to fiction.

Without a doubt, the book that set me on the path of reading was J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. Soon after that I read The Lord of the Rings which left an indelible mark. Fantasy would become my favorite genre to read and write. I’ve enjoyed many of Terry Brooks’ Shannara books and David Eddings’ Belgarion series. I’ve begun reading The Chronicles of Narnia to my kids just in the past week and they’re loving it.

For many years, I read only non-fiction but in the last couple – particularly since I began writing again – I’ve gravitated back to a more balanced reading schedule.

Now it’s your turn. What are your “classic” reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment