Monday, July 16, 2012

TNBT...aka The Next Big Thing



A dear writing friend of mine, Nicole Petrino-Salter, who will soon be focused on Interview Tuesday forwarded this idea from Karin Kaufman's site and I've chosen to participate. I hope this will shine a little more light on my writing process and WIPs. You can view Nicole's answers here.

1. What is the title of your book/WIP?
I'm currently working on two projects, one fiction, one nonfiction. My YA fantasy novel, codename "Big Joe" is in the revision stage. The nonfiction book is tentatively titled "Sarah's Wild Ride."

2. Where did the idea for the book come from?
"Sarah's Wild Ride" was birthed out of my family's journey through pediatric liver disease and liver transplant for my youngest daughter. It's turned out to be about much more than just our experiences and I'm hoping it offers encouragement to parents of children with life-threatening diseases. 

3. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I don't know that I can picture any living actor playing in my movies but I'm sure John Wayne and James Stewart would make appearances in there.

4. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
"Sarah's Wild Ride" - Offering guidance and encouragement to parents of seriously ill-children, sharing our own story that their families can survive in the face of incredible adversity.

5. Is your book published or represented?
Not yet. 

6. How long did it take you to write?
I wrote the bulk of "Big Joe" in four months. I'm currently working on sample chapters and a book proposal for "Sarah's Wild Ride."

7. Which authors inspired you to write this book?
I've always enjoyed reading fantasy and I've began writing my own stories in 3rd grade. I'd say it's more the love of writing than having one particular inspiration. If you cornered me, though., I'd have to say J.R.R. Tolkien and Terry Brooks. 

As for the nonfiction book: living the story and meeting other families trying to survive these dire circumstances has been inspiration enough.

9. Tell us anything else that might pique our interest in your book.
There are amazing families whose kids deal with potentially life-threatening diseases each day. If I can make one positive difference in their lives and the lives of those who follow us, I will consider my writing career successful.



Check out these fabulous writers:


Janalyn Voigt

Michael Duncan

Dennis Brooke

Gigi Murfitt


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for participating, Kirk. Good job. ;)

    ReplyDelete