Wednesday, September 5, 2012

WIP Wednesday


Summer is on its way out the door and that means it’s time to get back to work, writing that is. I didn’t maintain the writing schedule I would have liked during the summer but I’m okay with that. Time with my kids trumps writing. But NOW…time to get down to business.

This week I’m working on the novel, “Big Joe.” Rewriting, revising, revising some more – the story of my life, and this novel. Query time is fast approaching and though I’m a bit behind schedule on that, I believe I have it where I want it. Showing vs. telling is still my greatest struggle but great input from writing friends has greatly improved the story and the flow.

Next up is completing the book proposal for my nonfiction book. My plan is to begin querying on this book soon. This is really my first full-fledged foray into sending manuscripts out and I’m looking forward to the experience. No, really, I am. I understand rejection will come and I’m prepared for it. You can’t grow and succeed without first failing.

I also know I have stories to tell and believe in both of them. So I guess I’m equal parts confident and realistic. Just this week I’ve received a couple of opportunities to have my work reviewed/critiqued. I don’t have expectations beyond receiving some feedback I can use to improve my writing. That’s what this journey’s all about, after all - learning and growing.

What are you working on this week? Has it reached the point where you can begin querying? Are you already querying and just waiting for a “yes”?

No comments:

Post a Comment